Photo & Recipe from Simply Recipes
Don’t let the sunchoke intimidate you! Known also as Jerusalem Artichokes, these root vegetables pack a hefty nutritional punch so don’t let their odd appearance scare you off. Instead, try a warm and easy soup!
JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE (SUNCHOKE) SOUP
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 lbs sunchokes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 qt vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
– Heat the butter in a soup pot over medium-high heat and cook the onions and celery until soft, about 5 minutes. Do not brown them. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Sprinkle with salt.
– Add the sunchokes and the stock to the pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered, until the sunchokes begin to break down, 45 minutes to an hour.
– Using an immersion blender or upright blender, purée the soup. If using an upright blender, fill the blender bowl up only to a third of capacity at a time, if the soup is hot, and hold down the lid while blending. Alternately, you can push the soup through the finest grate on a food mill, or push it through a sturdy sieve. Add salt to taste.
Sprinkle with freshly grated black pepper to serve.